This locomotive entered traffic on 20 March, 1937 as 4487 Sea Eagle.
It was allocated to Gateshead and Haymarket sheds until 9 May, 1939, moving to Kings Cross for the duration of the Second World War.
Returning to Kings Cross in May 1948 as LNER No. 28 and renamed as Walter K. Whigham, the move coincided with a repaint into British Railways blue. It was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley.